November 3, 2021

Well Water, Bacteria and Ultra Violet Treatment

If you use a private well for your water supply, be it domestic or commercial, it is essential that it is monitored regularly to ensure the quality is suitable for use and consumption. There are many factors that could cause a change in your well water, which can pose significant health risks if not adequately treated.

How could my well become contaminated?

Wells and boreholes may become contaminated if the water emerges from the ground or, underground, where the water collects in the borehole or well.

  • Shallow wells that draw water from close to the grounds surface are more likely to be contaminated than wells and boreholes that draw water from deep underground.
  • However, on farmland, the underground water can be contaminated with bacteria from the manure of grazing animals, from the spreading of manure or slurry or from wastewater. The water can also absorb things like pesticides if used on the land.
  • All well need to be covered so they are protected from any potential surface water contamination.
  • Dependant on the areas, wells and boreholes can also be susceptible to Lime, Iron and Manganese in the supply as well as many types of bacteria.
  • It is important to take note of any changes in the smell, taste or colour of your well water, particularly after heavy rain, this can be a sign that the well has been contaminated.

How do I know if there’s Bacteria in my Well Water?

The only way to know the exact contents of your water supply is to have them tested. To test for bacteria, the best call to action is to use a Laboratory that facilitates Water Testing. This ensures professional and accurate results. We here at Water Store use Fitz Scientific for many of our water analysis needs.

What should I do If I have Bacteria in my Well Water?

If you have your well water tested, and bacteria is found to be present it is important to take the relevant action to ensure usage and consumption is safe. Various bacteria pose significant health risks and illnesses like diarrhoea, if consumed.

An Ultra Violet Light treatment is a non-chemical disinfection process of water that is contaminated with Bacteria. Microorganisms or bacteria present in the water supply are exposed to Ultraviolet light energy. The UV rays penetrate the cell membranes and destroy the DNA inside the cells. In other words, the UV light destroys the organisms (bacteria, viruses, moulds, algae and other microorganisms) and their ability to reproduce.

After this process, the microorganisms are considered dead, and the risk of a disease from them is eliminated. This leaves you with a water supply that is safe for use. UV systems require periodic servicing, dependant on the capabilities of the system. Typically a UV bulb will be changed every 12 months/9000 hours. Our UV systems have an alarm fitted and a visual display, to notify the customer when a lamp change is due.

Installing a UV system to treat your well water ensures you have a safe and consumable water supply.

SHOP UV SYSTEMS